Saturday, November 12, 2011

I do...right?

At the age of 23 I hear wedding bells all around me.
In a generation which has been afforded the privilege of holding off on marriage until at least our early 30's, I see more and more girls racing to the alter. Is it the fear of 2012 people have been trying to escape or the idea that raising a family at 21 is much better than holding off to at least 28. This was brought to my attention on a recent night out with a very engaged friend who may as well have taken off her engagement ring when sporting some of those impressive stripper dance moves for the guys.
It was also the same night she needless went on about why marriage to a guy, who she made it abundantly clear that she did not want to marry, is such a good choice. Of course, the number one justification is that raising a family while you are young with energy is much better than when you're old and tired. I'm sorry, but growing up with my kids was never on my list of things to do and doesn't make me want to jump at years of domestic unhappiness.
Honestly I think it was summed up best by Kris Humphries on the Kim Kardashian Wedding Special. Humphries was explaining to Kris Jenner why the two decided to get married and "because she wants to look good in her wedding pictures", came up as a reason. It's the only thing that can explain some really questionable marriage choices.
Nevertheless, as a product of the 1990's "girl power" movement and the idea that I can become anything I want, I find myself buried in a sea sympathetic smiles at my single status (which by the way isn't my fault that the last relationship didn't work out). Am I the only 20-something who gets completely freaked out about the thought of sharing their life with someone forever? After years of hard work at university and then trying my best to even get to a level where i can even begin to pay my dues for my industry, taking care of another person is not what I want to do.
Then again, maybe one of the multiple engagement parties may change my mind as I get ready for the spring/summer/fall wedding Olympics of 2012. Until then, the wedding promenade will not be on my playlist.

Side note: Interestingly, it is not the tall girl with better cleavage you have to worry about competing with, its going to be any of your engaged friends who automatically want any guy you speak to. I suggest making friends with that tall girl because engaged or newly married friends will be your Friday night enemy.

1 comment:

  1. You're not the only one that thinks this way, I love your writing style. You made ne think of things I have never noticed. I agree that our generation has lost sight of the true meaning if marriage and the reasons why two should decide to be together as one until "death does them part".

    ReplyDelete