We live in a world where women are modern and liberated, yet we have to abide by quite a few rules when it comes to dating. We live in a world where regardless of the very public internet and reality television our peers are becoming more and more reclusive with their ipod buds and touch phone nonchalance. We are also living in a time where the dating rules have become mixed up, remixed, and rearranged.
Be aggressive! No wait, you don't want to give off the wrong impression. Who makes the first move? Let's see how this stare off goes. You got Twitter? You're a polyamorous...what is....oh you want a group date?!
I decided to concoct a little experiment of my own one night, naturally with the help of wine. Instead of waiting around and waiting to exchange "facebook" information with someone, I decided to just go ahead and try a few pick up ideas I've seen before. Well, with exception of a secret admirer video-text....another story for another time.
There is technique number one, which is just going up to someone and talk to them. The only caution in this is that people have become so vain they assume you want to marry them! No sir, I'm only talking to you because the doctor told me the whole staring contest is not good for my eyes. If this technique is a little too much for you then try number two, which is just acting like you know them. How is this different you may question. I'm sure someone has done this to you before, the whole "hey, how have you been", which made you stop and think I'm such a jerk for not knowing this person's name. It actually works more so than technique number one. It could be because it's best to try this later on in the night when everyone is feeling a little looser, but it works. One guy was convinced he knew me from 5th grade which is interesting since we never grew up around the same area. It made for a more interesting conversation then going head to head in the "what type of music do you listen to" arena.
If there is one thing I learned from this experiment, it's better to put yourself out there to meet people than to sit around waiting for someone to talk to the lonely looking person at the bar.
No comments:
Post a Comment